The White or Small Castle.
Around 1835, just after the birth of Belgium, ‘t Wit Kasteeltje was built on ground of Heppen, locally called the ‘Plakke’, right next to the redoubt pond where the presbystery later came. The State Archives of Hasselt has a military staff map from 1850 on which ‘t Wit Kasteeltje is already clearly visible.
In 1851 this property was sold for 570 francs. In 1880, after domain enlargement, it changed owner for the price of 4,740 francs. In 1886, after improvement works, there was another owner change for the price of 9,000 francs.
In 1919, the beautiful domain passed into the hands of Petrus Fredrix, grandson of the very first Leopoldsburg police officer. The wife of adjutant GAËTAN Gerard in turn becomes an heiress.
In 1974, after a few years of vacancy and decay, ‘t Wit Kasteeltje was finally bought by the owners of Wijnhuis Van Orshoven in Leopoldsburg.
Today ‘t Wit Kasteeltje is a bed & breakfast.
source: Heemkundige Kring Heppen
Check out the old postcards too
This article is also available in Nederlands